Keep your lawn thriving on less water

Is your turf turning brown due to lack of water? Even with water regulations placed upon us there are somethings we can do to help prevent total loss of our lawn. Most of us are only allowed to water once or twice per week. If this is you we can still supply enough water to keep our lawns thriving. On the days you are allowed to water set your sprinklers to come on twice a day for shorter periods of time. Watering once a day for a longer period of time usually leads to run off and waste of water. Lawns will only be able to absorb so much water and once they’ve reached their limits the rest of the water just runs down the drain. This is even that much more important if you have a lawn on a slant or a hill. Watering times all depend on what type of sprinklers you have and what your water pressure is (every system is different). A good rule of thumb is to supply your lawn with one inch of water per week. Here are a few other tips to help keep your lawn thriving during the hot months.

  • Mulch instead of bagging your lawn clippings. Lawns are made up of 80-85% water mulching the lawn will return much needed water and nutrients back to the turf.
  • Regular fertilizer will help keep the root system strong and also keep the turf looking green and healthy.
  • Doing an annual aeration. Aerations are one of the most important things you can do for your lawn. This helps the root system of the turf grow deeper into the soil while also helping allow air, water and nutrients to penetrate deeper into the soil profile.
  • Weekly sprinkler checks. Things to check for; proper overlap, jammed or broken tips, lack of pressure, blockage from other objects, proper coverage (especially from oscillating sprinklers).
  • Call a professional.  In many cases it is easier for someone that has been doing this type of work for years to figure out what is going on. Although 90% of the time in the hot months it will be irrigation issues the other 10% can be even a greater risk to your lawn such as insects or fungus.

If you do have questions or just plain want to talk to us about helping your landscape please give us a call we will come up with a solution to your problems!